Re: Creating a subdirectory under fc_host statistics using fc_function_template

James,

What Krishna describes, is a need to add driver-specific attributes (and optionally a directory of attributes) to a class-level object. I attempted patches of a similar form when I was originally doing the fc_rports, which were rejected.

I believe the position is that we do not allow driver-specific things on the class objects, and drivers are limited in scope to only adding individual attributes to the scsi_host via the attribute list in the scsi_host_template.

I'd like to re-propose the patches to add driver-specific data to the FC class objects. Do you believe there's a change in heart to accepting this functionality before I start the work to create them ?

For example, I know that Emulex would have liked to add driver-specific state data to the rports. And Krishna's proposal is another request.

-- james

Krishna Gudipati wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have a small question on how to create a sub-directory to store my driver specific data under fc_host statistics.

Currently i am using the fc_function_template's  .get_fc_host_stats to export all my fc_host statistics.

But now i need a way to create a directory under the /sys/class/fc_host/statistics

lets say /sys/class/fc_host/statistics/hba/ns_stats to store all the specific information regarding name_server or
this type of information for different stats we want to collect. Basically we are thinking of having a hierarchy
under the fc_host/statistics folder so that we can display our driver specific information in a much cleaner fashion.

I researched looking at the current "struct fc_function_template" under scsi_transport_fc.c but did not find a way where i can specify
that i need to create a folder under this statistics folder. I am not aware as of now if this feature of creating a hierarchy of directories for fc_host stats is in development.

But we think that having our driver specific information under a subdirectory would make things look nicer.

Can any of you linux guru's help me understand if this feature is currently in development?
or
is there any good way to tweak in and create a new subdirectory under the fc_host stats using the current fc_function_template?

If this feature is not currently present or in dev can we add some code to the scsi_transport_fc.c to support this feature?

Because we have a lot of driver specific information and we don't want to dump everything under the stats which can make things look a little messy. So we are planning to have a hierarchy so that we can sort out these properly.

Any help in this regard is really appreciated.

thanks in advance,

with regards,

KRISHNA CHAITANYA GUDIPATI
MS CS(COMPUTER NETWORKS)