Re: iscsi update for 2.6.29

Boaz Harrosh wrote:
michaelc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
This patchset is for 2.6.29. This should be the final patches
to prepare the iscsi layer for cxgb3i, which looks like it
has gone through the netdev review and will be sent here next
shortly.

This patchset was made over scsi-misc, and the fix here.
http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=122815519326207&w=2
(the fix in that email does not conflict with this patchset
and can be applied over or before these patches).

cxgb3i adds a new offload model. Where qla4xxx offloaded pretty
much everything, and bnx2i offloaded the iscsi sequence processing
(give it the iscsi scsi command pdu and the offload engine will
handle everything between), cxgb3i offloads operations like
digest, padding, and data transfers. It relies on the iscsi layer
for the sequence state machine, so this patchset is basically
just breaking up iscsi_tcp into a lib layer so cxgb3i can share
the code.

OK I tested that lot finally, and it's good. I'm able to bang
bidi commands on it and it seems to works. exofs (was osdfs) mounts
and works as before. I'll let it run through the night and see if
it holds. (It should)

So the generic layer of this patchset is tested.

Thanks.

I have sent comments about bidi mistakes made in the cxgb3i side
of this patchset but never got a response and it seems they have not
been fixed. But I might have missed the fixes. is the cxgb3i branch on

You mean you have sent comments about cxgb3i patches right? I think they are saving them for last.

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mnc/linux-2.6-iscsi.git
the latest iteration of these patches? I'll have another look if you want?

Yes, but my cxgb3i driver in there is a little old. It is the latest they have sent to the lists, but there are lots of fixes floating around.

If you want I can help you set up a SW only OSD setup, to test if cxgb3i
is bidi clean. What about the other accel cards?

I do not think cxgb3i is ready for ahs in the send path. See the comment in cxgb3i_ulp.c's cxgb3i_conn_ulp2_alloc_pdu callout. It requires some changes to iscsi_prep_scsi_cmd_pdu header setup so we have the size before we allocate the header (cxgb3i works with skbs and uses the skb allocators from the network layer for its header allocation and does not preallocate like iscsi_tcp), or that we allocate a skb large enough to hold any header then trim it if we have extra space. Your help in this area would be really helpful. I did not want to much around a lot because I could not test and did not want to add a regression to the existing ahs code.

qla4xxx is a offload card you might want to test. Then there is iser, and I thought you had patches for them already.

bnx2i is reworking their firmware according to the netdev review, so you can look at the driver in the bnx2i branch, but it is really old. It would probably be helpful to get an idea of how they are working with the scatterlists and scsi commands though.

One more test that I never did is OSD (bidi) commands with header+data
digest enabled. Now with OSC's OSD target over TOMO's stgt I should be
able to test that. IBM's target did not support it because OSD has its
own digest stuff. TOMO's stgt does supports header+data digest right?
I should run these tests later this week. Just to make sure the digest
stuff is bidi safe. I'm sure it is but just that I never tested it.

I think there might be a bug in the data digest code. When testing this code I noticed that around the time the scatterlist changes started showing up a couple kernels ago, data digests did not work in iscsi. I started tracking it down and I think it might be in the crypto scatterlist code. I am not sure and do not have enough info to make a bug report yet.