RE: Question about spun-down USB disk

You provide a valid point.
However, from an energy/environmental standpoint, I fail to see the problem.
Don't harddisks in laptops generally spin down after there's been no
activity for a while?
How does the O/S handle those?

These aren't server disks I'm talking about, but disks in a system designed
to conserve power.
Why should the disk in my home server be powered up when no-one is using the
server?

Western Digital MyBooks and Seagate FreeAgent disks power themselves down
automatically (firmware setting).
Does that mean you want people that have these disks to lose their data?
How do you expect them to know -in advance- that their disk will spin down,
possibly killing their filesystem?

People are alresdy reporting these problems:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg52952.h
tml

I can understand Linux' UN*X roots imply big servers with SCSI disks that
need to be highly available.
It would, however, be nice if the O/S could optionally manage disks the way
'a certain other O/S' does.

If everyone could save those 10 watts per disk with their little server at
home, they might even save a few pennies.

- disclaimer-
For safety, I keeep my data on two separate disks and rsync these daily,
  so I'm not particularly afraid of a filesystem or O/S crash.
9 times out of 10, I only read from the disk as all media mounts are
  readonly and the disk is mounted with 'noatime'.
I would like to unmount the disks before spinning them down,
  but I don't think NFS and SMB can auto-mount the disk.
  Providing the disk in question is automatically spun up...

Regards,

Kit Gerrits