Re: Kernel Level Generic Target Mode control path

Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 21:52 +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

2. It assumes the stateless type of configuration, when each call configures exactly one thing without any side effects on already configured or future entries. This approach is good for cases like iptables, but for SCSI targets it's possible that several configuration steps require to be done in an atomic manner, like adding an iSCSI target and configuring its parameters.
Well, the ability for an admin to force an LIO-Core related action, say
removing an HBA and all associated storage object with lots of exported
LUNs and running I/O, or an LIO-Target related action, say removing an
entire iSCSI Target Node with targetname=) at any time..  This obviously
require precision interaction between Target Fabric I/O Paths <-> Target
Core and Target Core <-> Control Interface to Admin.

That control interface needs to be protected in object contexts.  In
LIO-Core this is on a per HBA (be it physical or virtual) context.  With
LIO-Target this is on a iSCSI Target Node by targetname -> Target Portal
Group Tag context.  Obviously doing this from an IOCTL is the only real
choice I had when this code started in 2001, but I wonder how configfs
would work for something like this.
My favorite configuration interface would have 2 levels.

1. The lowest level would be /proc, /sys, etc. based and allow to configure exactly one parameter or set of related parameters with corresponding subparameters necessary to provide required atomicity, if needed. For instance, this is how a new virtual read-only SBC device with 4K block size is added in SCST vdisk handler:

# echo "open disk_4K /disk_4K 4096 READ_ONLY" >/proc/scst/vdisk/vdisk

So, I would consider proc and sysfs both medieval for RW data, with the
latter being slightly sharper instrument than the former, but both not
very effective..

Configfs on the other hand, is quite sharp in the battlefield..  Here is
what I am thinking for LIO-Target after it was loaded to an configfs
enabled generic target engine:

# This is the iSCSI Qualifed Target Name we will be creating
MY_TARGETIQN=/config/target/iscsi/iqn.superturbodiskarray
# From 'lvs -v'
LVM_UUID=y2sbeD-insM-xykn-s3SV-3tge-VWhn-xB4FMv
# From 'lsscsi' or '/proc/scsi/scsi'
SCSI_HCTL_LOCATION=1:0:0:0

# Same as 'target-ctl coreaddtiqn targetname=$IQN' with LIO today
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN

# Make TPGT=1 on iqn.superturbodiskarray
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1

# Make TPGT=1 run in Demo Mode for this example (no Initiator ACLs)
echo 1 > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/attribs/generate_node_acls

# Create network portal mapping to TPGT=1
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/np/192.168.100.10

# DEPENDS ON GENERIC TARGET CORE
# Create TPGT=1,LUN=0 from Linux LVM Block Device
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_0
echo $LVM_UUID > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_0/location

# DEPENDS ON GENERIC TARGET CORE
# Create TPGT=1,LUN=1 from SCSI Layer
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_1
echo $SCSI_HCTL_LOCATION > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_1/location

# This is the atomic part, once we throw this flag iSCSI Initiators will
be allowed to login to this TPGT
echo 1 > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/enable_tpg

# The equivliant of 'target-ctl coredeltiqn targetname=$IQN' today
rm -rf $MY_TARGETIQN

I think this would make a very useful and extremely flexiable interface
for my purposes...  What do you think about the potential..?

It has a big problem with atomicity of changes. Configuration of each iSCSI target should be atomic and on the target driver's start configuration of *all* targets as a whole should be atomic as well. How are you going to solve this issue?

Plus:

1. As I already wrote, separate subdir for each target and device is harder to parse

2. The high level interface needs to lock somehow the low level interface during updates to protect from simultaneous actions. I don't see a simple way to do that in configfs.

2. The higher level interface(s) would allow people to not bother with low level commands, but use regular text config file(s). See scstadmin utility for example. It allows to do all necessary configuration of SCST core from /etc/scst.conf file. Such interface must have an important property: it must be able to detect changes in the config file and apply them to the running system. That property would allow to have system configuration always persistent: if one needs to change something, he would edit the config file and rerun the corresponding utility (scstadmin in this example; it really can do that, though with some limitations). Although this interface level would completely belong to user space, we in kernel need to provide for it a convenient interface.

Target drivers and backstorage device handlers, who need advanced configuration, would have own low and high level interfaces, as needed. For instance, an iSCSI target must not start serving clients until all its targets fully configured. Otherwise, initiators can get rejected for not yet configured target and erroneously consider it dead. In iSCSI-SCST the user space part of the target doesn't start accepting connection until it finishes reading /etc/iscsi-scst.conf file.

3. It's hard to read 5+ parameters in one command line, so it's a lot easier to make a mistake there.
No, I completely agree.  But I honestly think the actual target CLI
interface and parameters to admin need to do alot of pre-execution
script logic in userspace to reference different interested objects,
without the admin have to provide all of stuff.  I do this today to
determine the major/minor for lvm_uuid= (from lvs -v), md_uuid= (from
mdadm -D) and udev_path= (from /dev/disk)..

Same goes for real SCSI devices that we are exporting directly from
drivers/scsi.  We want to use EVPD Unit Serial or Device Identificaton
where ever able to reference said storage object.
Yes, this is why we need the high level interface. Otherwise for complex targets the configuration task quickly grows up to a nightmare.

So, I believe, a configuration interface should be rather /proc or /sys interface based. I don't think we should care much about backward compatibility with tgtadm, because the existing interface doesn't reach the state of being widely used.
I would definately vote against proc here for the fancy stuff I
mentioned above.  I have experience enabled core-iscsi to use sysfs for
RO data, but nothing along the lines of what would be required for a
generic target mode RW control path.  Does anyone with sysfs experience
have any comments on thing..?
Sysfs as well as configfs have one big disadvantage. They limit each file to only 4KB. This would force us for to create a subdirectory for each device and for each connected initiator. I don't like seeing thousands subdirectories. Additionally, such layout is a lot less convenient for parsing for the high level configuration tool, which needs to find out the difference between the current configuration and content of the corresponding config file.

So yeah, the output with configfs is limited to PAGE_SIZE as well, but
for the R/W cases we don't expect that data sets to exceed this per
configfs mkdir invocation..
Currently, with procfs SCST can list in /proc/scst/sessions virtually unlimited amount of connected initiators in a simple for parsing manner. It was done using seq interface well and simply. Neither sysfs, nor configfs support seq interface. This would introduce significant effort in both kernel and user spaces.

Same for me with all of the target-ctl IOCTL commands.   No one ever
said upstream target code was not going to require significant
effort. :-)

I don't think we should create the additional one :-)

Debugfs supports seq interface, but, because of the name, I doubt we can use it ;)

Thus, looks like we'd better stay with /proc. After all, networking and VM widely use /proc for internal configuration. Why SCSI target is worse?

So yeah, RW configuration data going with /proc is completely
unacceptable for my purposes.  However since all of the LIO iSCSI and
SCSI MIB code is procfs + seq_file based (and is read-only) I figure
that considering there are other MIBs related procfs code in other
subsystems, that this would not be too much of a stumbling point.

So this configfs stuff is really starting to grow on me, I am surprised
that I have missed it for so long, I know the author (and alot of the
OCFSv2 team) and I believe their reasons for creating and moving ocfs2
to use configfs (even though a production ocfs2 create has much *FEWER*
configuration information respresented in configfs directories and
entries than a production iSCSI target would) provide compelling
evidence to move our efforts for a generic kernel target engine in this
direction.  So yes, I do feel your pain wrt to existing code, but I
believe that using procfs from my current IOCTL would quite honestly be
a step back.
How about this, I will begin to implement the LIO-Target pieces in
configfs for lio-core-2.6.git, and leave LIO-Core in IOCTL for now, and
once I have some running code, I will look at the process to begin to
incorporate the requirements to preform the "dumb registration" with a
generic target engine.  From there, that would give me a good idea of
what would be required with SCST and configfs.  From the above example
with configfs, these would be:

# Create TPGT=1,LUN=0 from Linux LVM Block Device using UUID from
# 'lvs -v' output
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_0
echo $LVM_UUID > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_0/location

# Create TPGT=1,LUN=1 from SCSI Layer h/c/t/l Parameters from lsscsi
# or /proc/scsi/scsi output
mkdir $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_1
echo $SCSI_HCTL_LOCATION > $MY_TARGETIQN/tpgt_1/lun_1/location

Of course, we could do poke directly at Target-Core storage objects via
configfs as well!

# Preform a LUN reset on $LVM_UUID on all mapped target PORTs/LUNs
echo 1 > /config/target/core/$LVM_UUID/lun_reset
# Remove the SCSI device from the target, and all mapped PORTs/LUNs
# and fall all outstanding I/Os.
rm -rf /config/target/core/$SCSI_HTL_LOCATION

Again, I think this would be extremely flexible and easily extendable
for new uses. Also, providing some level of backwards compatibility with
our project's existing CLI nomenclature would not been that hard if our
repsective projects really require it.

I would also be happy to help with configfs and SCST if you are
interested..

Thanks, but more I'm thinking, more I'm coming to an IOCTL's based interface, where each submodule has own set of IOCTL's, multiplexed over a single device, and for each module there would be a simple dedicated utility. For example, to configure virtual disk backstorage handler: scst_vdisk_ctl, which would allow to create, delete and manage virtual FILEIO/BLOCKIO disks. Or for managing security groups there would be scst_acl_ctl utility. Each such utility would be very simple, would offload kernel from parsing character strings or converting to them, as it is necessary for configfs, each new future module would come with own management tool. Git uses a similar approach: a dedicated program for each action.

Data of big lists, like list of devices, would be returned at once in an easy to parse form, which would considerably simplify creation of the high level interface.

Such approach would be pretty simple for implementation and maintenance (I love simplicity) as well as solve all other configfs problems, namely:

1. The atomicity would be natural. An iscsi_tgt_ctl utility would parse the input or corresponding config file and create a target with all parameters in a single IOCTL call.

2. Locking would be automatic via forced exclusive open without any additional actions.

Also SCST /proc helpers, which target drivers and backstorage handlers intensively use, would fit in this approach quite well.

How's that look?

Vlad