Re: mptsas and mptbase sas problems on fujitsu-siemens rx200-s3 rack server

The first thing to note is that HBA based hardware RAID is not something
anyone should enable blindly.  The fusion isn't even a dedicated RAID
card, so its RAID engine is effectively jammed into left over firmware
space because it was available (HP, for instance, required this
capability to be removed on some of the HP OEM models).

Even for dedicated hardware RAID, the problem you have is that it
effectively puts the onboard processor in the direct I/O path.  Since
cards are (reasonably) cheap, these processors don't have the fastest
busses or highest processing capabilities, and often top out at
surprisingly low bandwidths, especially for compute intensive
transactions like RAID-5/RAID-6.

Mainly this internal sas array (2*73GB 10k sas disks) is used for operating system only. Currently I am running it on raid1

After weekend I can try to run it without hardware acceleration,
it mainly makes installing operating system a bit harder.

So, this looks like that I need to buy working sas raid controller,
if I want to use hardware raid on this machine? Rest of data is on
fibrechannel san and it is working fine.

--
Eero