Re: adaptec 3405 + 4 sas disks: synchronize_callback: synchronize failed, status = 226

On Monday 14 July 2008, Mark Salyzyn wrote:
> 226 means CT_ERROR, a generic response to the CT_FLUSH_CACHE command
> to the controller when the action could not be performed.
>
> The action is to flush all the controller's cache to the targets in
> response to a SCSI SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE command. I expect that you are
> running with a degraded array, or incompatible drives?

It's in "Optimal" state and I have no idea which drives are "incompatible".
Is this list published somewhere (I was looking at 3405 download section at
adaptec.com)?

# ./arcconf64 getconfig 1 al
Controllers found: 1
Controller information
   Controller Status                        : Optimal
   Channel description                      : SAS/SATA
   Controller Model                         : Adaptec 3405
   Controller Serial Number                 : 8C0210064E7
   Temperature                              : 46 C/ 114 F (Normal)
   Installed memory                         : 128 MB
   Copyback                                 : Disabled
   Background consistency check             : Disabled
   Automatic Failover                       : Enabled
   Global task priority                     : High
   Defunct disk drive count                 : 0
   Logical devices/Failed/Degraded          : 1/0/0
   Controller Version Information
   BIOS                                     : 5.2-0 (15728)
   Firmware                                 : 5.2-0 (15728)
   Driver                                   : 1.1-5 (2449)
   Boot Flash                               : 5.2-0 (15728)
   Controller Battery Information
   Status                                   : Optimal
   Over temperature                         : No
   Capacity remaining                       : 99 percent
   Time remaining (at current draw)         : 3 days, 1 hours, 11 minutes

Logical device information
Logical device number 0
   Logical device name                      : RAID
   RAID level                               : 10
   Status of logical device                 : Optimal
   Size                                     : 571392 MB
   Stripe-unit size                         : 256 KB
   Read-cache mode                          : Enabled
   Write-cache mode                         : Enabled (write-back)
   Write-cache setting                      : Enabled (write-back) when
protected by battery
   Partitioned                              : Yes
   Protected by Hot-Spare                   : No
   Bootable                                 : Yes
   Failed stripes                           : No
   Logical device segment information
   Group 0, Segment 0                       : Present (0,0)
3LM4DRD200009842S4XD
   Group 0, Segment 1                       : Present (0,1)
3LM4DRDZ00009842RNGC
   Group 1, Segment 0                       : Present (0,2)
3LM4DS0P00009808RMV7
   Group 1, Segment 1                       : Present (0,3)
3LM48ABH00009842SXEE

Physical Device information
      Device #0
         Device is a Hard drive
         State                              : Online
         Supported                          : Yes
         Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
         Reported Channel,Device            : 0,0
         Reported Location                  : Enclosure 0, Slot 0
         Reported ESD                       : 2,0
         Vendor                             : SEAGATE
         Model                              : ST3300655SS
         Firmware                           : 0002
         Serial number                      : 3LM4DRD200009842S4XD
         World-wide name                    : 5000C5000A4B3558
         Size                               : 286102 MB
         Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
         FRU                                : None
         S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
      Device #1
         Device is a Hard drive
         State                              : Online
         Supported                          : Yes
         Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
         Reported Channel,Device            : 0,1
         Reported Location                  : Enclosure 0, Slot 1
         Reported ESD                       : 2,0
         Vendor                             : SEAGATE
         Model                              : ST3300655SS
         Firmware                           : 0002
         Serial number                      : 3LM4DRDZ00009842RNGC
         World-wide name                    : 5000C5000A4B3800
         Size                               : 286102 MB
         Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
         FRU                                : None
         S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
      Device #2
         Device is a Hard drive
         State                              : Online
         Supported                          : Yes
         Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
         Reported Channel,Device            : 0,2
         Reported Location                  : Enclosure 0, Slot 2
         Reported ESD                       : 2,0
         Vendor                             : SEAGATE
         Model                              : ST3300655SS
         Firmware                           : 0002
         Serial number                      : 3LM4DS0P00009808RMV7
         World-wide name                    : 5000C5000A4B3074
         Size                               : 286102 MB
         Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
         FRU                                : None
         S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
      Device #3
         Device is a Hard drive
         State                              : Online
         Supported                          : Yes
         Transfer Speed                     : SAS 3.0 Gb/s
         Reported Channel,Device            : 0,3
         Reported Location                  : Enclosure 0, Slot 3
         Reported ESD                       : 2,0
         Vendor                             : SEAGATE
         Model                              : ST3300655SS
         Firmware                           : 0002
         Serial number                      : 3LM48ABH00009842SXEE
         World-wide name                    : 5000C5000A4B39B4
         Size                               : 286102 MB
         Write Cache                        : Enabled (write-back)
         FRU                                : None
         S.M.A.R.T.                         : No
      Device #4
         Device is an Enclosure services device
         Reported Channel,Device            : 2,0
         Enclosure ID                       : 0
         Type                               : SES2
         Vendor                             : ADAPTEC
         Model                              : Virtual SGPIO  0
         Firmware                           : 0001
         Status of Enclosure services device
            Temperature                     : Normal

Command completed successfully.

> Make sure your drive and controller firmware is as up-to-date as
> possible.

Controller firmware is up to date.  Disks firmware is 002 according to
arcconf, unfortunately seagate doesn't seem to publish firmware on their
site, so I don't know if it's old or new.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team