Re: bidi support: FC transport layer...

On Jul 10, 2008, at 9:10 AM, James.Smart@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Seokmann,

Yes - the idea was that when SGIO v4 and BIDI support was finally in the
kernel
(and stable), we would utilize that interface for ELS and CT pass thru.
We will
be abusing the "scsi-ness" of this infrastructure, but should be ok. We
can use
the "CDB" area to pass request control information, and the "Sense
Data/Response"
area to pass response control information, and the BIDI payloads for the
actual
write and read buffers.
OK. So the bidi has coupled with the scsi somehow.
Could you please elaborate a bit further about how to abuse the "scsi- ness" and make it workable for the ELS/CT purpose?

We have a few hurdles to cross to get there though:
- We're going to create an sgio object - is the object 1:1 with
sysfs/device objects ?
or do we allow the adapter/port to be the base object and we then pass
addressing
information in the request control area. I lean toward the latter, as
there may
 be things on the fabric the adapter/port does not want or does not
know about, to
present to the OS. However, I know James is in the other camp - always
have a node
 so that the addressing is implicit in the node being talked to. But,
in order to
 do this for things that may not already be enumerated, we have to
build in a
 funky "temporarily create object X" interface so you can then talk to
it, then
 tear it down.
I see...
I'm also more toward latter from my gut feeling.
And, it should also be great to know further details about the alternative approach, too.

- We have to figure out a way to address asynchronous reception. It's
easy to do
the request side via BIDI, but how about an ELS/CT request to the port
? where
 do we get the buffers ? is it DMA-based ? is there multiple buffer
pools and
 a traffic classification policy ? how do we associate traffic to the
right
 user entity ? and so on.
I see...
Regarding the traffic association, a similar approach that I only know of is: AEN (Asynchronous Event Notification) on the Solaris. It is kind of registration being done by each of the application upon loading so that the AEN queue, later on, could identify the one among the registered when actual AEN happens.

- Will the ideas of "abusing" the SGIO SCSI request work for generic FC
traffic.
 I believe we've got the primitives right when we could actually
support FCP
 traffic through this raw interface.

- This will all need to be clean integrated into the transport, and we
have
 to consider the open-FCOE stack as well.
OK. Thanks.

In general, I haven't got clear picture of what to do and trying to grab as much as possible.
I will get back to you with some more questions.

Seokmann

-- james s