Re: MPTSAS: ("activate status led" | "find disc") in external enclosure

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 12:41 +0200, Lars Täuber wrote:
> As some of you might already now I have to set up a (for us) bigger SAN with Linux.
> I'm simulating disc failure right now. To find a defective disc in the enclosure is unresolved yet.
> I already had a look at several web pages and searched for it but without luck.
>
> The manual of the enclosure says (PROMISE VTRAK J610S):
> LEDs                                 State
>                 | Dark     | Steady Green  | Flashing Green
> Power/Activity* | No Drive | Drive Present | Activity
> Status**        | HBA/RAID controller determines the LED behavior
> [...]
> ** Refer to the user documentation for your HBA or RAID controller for this
>    information.
>
> Is there a standard way to lit the led in the enclosure with linux means or anything alike?
> The enclosure does not tell the serial numbers of the included disc.
> The HBA is an LSI SAS 3801X.

It depends on whether you have the HBA configured in RAID mode or not.
If you have, then it takes absolute control of the enclosure management
at the moment and I don't think you can get to it.

If you run the HBA as a pure SAS one, then the promise website says this
enclosure is ses2 compliant, so you should just be able to insert the
ses module and have enclosure management (2.6.24+ kernels).  This relies
on the HBA exposing the enclosure device, but I think mptsas only eats
it for RAID configurations.

to see what's in the enclosure, just do

ls /sys/class/enclosure/*/

each of the subdirectories has a slot label (name taken from SES) to
locate the enclosure, just echo 1 to the locate file and it will flash
the lights.  If it has a disk, there should be a device link in the slot
directory (might not be, this depends on ses working correctly and VPD
inquiries identifying the right disk).

James