From: Hannes Reinecke [mailto:hare@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 8:45 AM
To: Yang, Bo
Cc: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Patro, Sumant
Subject: Re: [patch 02/17] Dell CERC support for megaraid_mbox

Yang, Bo wrote:
> Hannes,
>
> We can not find out why need to disable the random deletion of the
> logical drive for the FW version>=6.62?  Where is the 6.62 come from?
>
>From the bug reports we had. Dell machines with a fw rev < 6.61 work with this driver, whereas newer rev (the said 6.62) don't.
As to the details: No idea. This is just what I found by comparing the older megaraid driver (which worked, but is unsupported) and the newer megaraid_mbox driver.
The noticeable difference was just the random deletion feature.
As I don't have any details about the driver I certainly can't tell you any details. This is a workaround.
But as Dell (or LSI, for that matter) refuse to update the BIOS on these drivers we're stuck with it.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)