Re: mptsas problem

Wakko Warner wrote:
Richard Scobie wrote:
I recall seeing some of this problem on the list a few days ago, but
I > can't remember what the subject was and was unable to find the thread.

You are perhaps thinking of this:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=120696978819085&w=2

Yes.

but it seems to be a different issue.

Ok.

From the message you posted, it looks as though there may be a problem with sda.

It's working fine with /sys/block/sd[abc]/device/queue_depth = 1 (on boot up,
as stated before, it's 64)

I performed the same copy again with queue_depth=1 after the array rebuilt.
It worked fine then.  No errors.

Does smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda show any obvious problems?

smartctl doesn't work on sd[a-d] at all:
# smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdd
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T
permissive' options.
# smartctl -a -d ata -T permissive /dev/sdd

As a smartmontools developer I know that '-d ata' is
incorrect in this context. The 'd <command_set> should
either not be given or '-d sat' should be given.

This is difficult to explain and hence put in an easily
understood option. As far as linux is concerned SCSI
commands are being issued to a SCSI device (on a SCSI
transport). But those SCSI commands are mostly instances
of the SCSI ATA PASS-THROUGH command.

It is further complicated by the fact that a properly
implemented SAT layer (and I have never met one)
implements the SCSI commands used for SMART support.
If that was the case 'smartctl -a -d scsi /dev/sdd' would
yield useful output which would be a subset of what 'd sat'
would yield.

Clear as mud?

Doug Gilbert

smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     [No Information Found]
Serial Number:    [No Information Found]
Firmware Version: [No Information Found]
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   1
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Sun Apr  6 21:02:45 2008 EDT
SMART is only available in ATA Version 3 Revision 3 or greater.
We will try to proceed in spite of this.
SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 82-83 don't show if SMART supported.
                  Checking for SMART support by trying SMART ENABLE command.
Error SMART Enable failed: Invalid argument
                  SMART ENABLE failed - this establishes that this device lacks SMART functionality.
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.
#