Re: dmesg spam

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 15:14 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:

> >>                            ^^^
> >> => SCSI/libata
> >>
> >> cc:ing Jeff

> > Well..  it's coming out of the kernel.  Presumably it's that cdrom polling
> > thing in KDE.  James recently made changes to sr_ioctl.c but I've been
> > buried in more terminal regressions than this one.
>
> I don't see this in upstream...  can you isolate it to a particular git
> tree?

It's here in sr_ioctl.c:

int sr_do_ioctl(Scsi_CD *cd, struct packet_command *cgc)
{
[...]
                case NOT_READY: /* This happens if there is no disc in
drive */
[...]
                        if (!cgc->quiet)
                                printk(KERN_INFO "%s: CDROM not ready.
Make sure there is a disc in the drive.\n", cd->cdi.name);
#ifdef DEBUG
                        scsi_print_sense_hdr("sr", &sshdr);
#endif

> Clearly userland is initiating a once-per-second poll.  That is quite
> normal for 99% of CDROMs, which do not support async notification.
>
> But also clearly that message is printk'd way too much in your case.

I'm not averse to simply nuking the printk ... it's probably valueless
in a modern kernel, since something dbussy is supposed to tell you to
put a CD in the drive, not something in the kernel.

I am however interested to see if it's a symptom of something else that
might be a bigger problem.

James

-