Re: Forcing use of sd driver on Suse 10.3 (2.6.22)

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:53 +0000, Bill Adair wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 19:31 +0100, Stefan Richter wrote:
> > Bill Adair wrote:
> > > Is there any way under Linux of forcing use of the sd driver for a
> > > device on the bus instead of sg?
> >
> > The INQUIRY data which the SCSI core gets from the device have to
> > indicate that the device implements SBC or RBC (is of peripheral device
> > type 00h or 0Eh).
> I have altered the sd.c file by patching sd_probe to check for the
> particular unit I have and accepting pdt 03h (Processor) as a valid
> return and the unit works fine.

That's a bit of a nasty.  We can't blindly attach sd to a processor
otherwise it will pick up all sorts of stuff its not supposed to bind to
(like scanners, enclosure devices and other initiators).

I suppose a firmware upgrade for the device to make it actually comply
vaguely with the spec is out of the question?

If not, there's a trick we do in scsi_scan.c for Toshiba CDROMS that
fail to set their type correctly (it's the code under BLIST_ISROM), we
could do the same for this device.  What are its inquiry strings?  And
does anyone have any clue whether it should be RBC or DISK type?

> I suspect the sd file is considered very important though (and I don't
> know how many of these card readers exist) so I assume a patch is not
> required ;-). Would there be another approach to creating a "driver" for
> my Spyrus RD300 in it's guise as a card reader?

James

-