Re: [RFC] Implementation of SCSI dynamic power management

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2008 04:56:03 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > You'll have to add this method whenever a new subsystem is affected
> > > by power management.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand your point.  If you mean that we'll have to
> > add autosuspend and autoresume code to every driver that wants to
> > support autosuspend, I agree.  There doesn't seem to be any way around
> > it.  Note that the code added by the companion usb-storage patch is
> > pretty small.
>
> OK, you've convinced me.
> But I'd be happier if you put the notification into the generic device code.

Eventually parts of the autosuspend mechanism will go there.  But first
I thought we should have a proof-of-concept version working for at
least two different subsystems (such as SCSI and USB), so that we can
understand what should go into the generic layer and what should stay
out.

Alan Stern

-