Einarc - unified hardware RAID management

Greetings,

Not so far ago, I've faced a problem of accessing and managing multiple hardware RAIDs in Linux. That is, there are multiple servers with various controllers that I need to:

1. Manage RAID arrays (create / change attributes / delete / add physical discs, etc)
2. Monitor these arrays

Given that I wasn't dealing with RAIDs before (started about a year ago), it came to great surprise to me that hardware RAIDs lack any standardization at all. Generally, only thing they're supposed to do is providing SCSI discs and there's absolutely no way to know what this logical disc consists of, create it, monitor it, etc, without proprietary controller utilities supplied by a vendor. These utilities are generally a mess: each one has it's own interface, switches, CLI language, etc, and even concepts differ (for example, LSI deals with physical-logical drives, Areca deals with physical-raidsets-volumesets).

After a bit of intricate search, I've only found 2 references to this problem:

1. Proprietary ManageEngine OpStor product that costs a fortune, is licensed per-device and doesn't seem to fulfill my needs 100%.

2. OpenBSD's initiative named "bioctl" that generally seems to implement such a unified management interface, but it development seems to be stalled. It only supports older versions of LSI MegaRAID controller they call "ami" and

So, I've came to an idea that I should try to implement such interface myself. It was implemented as Einarc project, now hosted at

http://www.inquisitor.ru/doc/einarc/

The concept seems to have succeeded and I've already using it in 2 production projects. It works by downloading all these proprietary controller CLIs and then it just translates calls and data from proprietary data model to unified one and back, for example:

einarc -t areca adapter info

gets translated into

/usr/local/lib/areca/cli sys info

Sadly, I don't have access to any possible controller at the market and it only supports a limited number of current hardware controllers (Areca, older LSI, newer LSI, Adaptec). I'd like to ask several things:

1. Are there any existing implementations of such thing I've missed?
2. Are there any RAID/storage controllers around that don't fit into Einarc's current object scheme? What needs to be extended/fixed? 3. Anyone needs support for more hardware contollers in Einarc? Would it be useful? 4. Any known open-source methods to access these hardware controllers without translating queries to proprietary CLIs? I guess, at least old MegaRAID queries can be ported from OpenBSD bioctl?

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin AKA GreyCat
-