Re: BUG in: Driver core: convert block from raw kobjects to core devices (fwd)

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 11:31 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 17:24 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

> > > OK, so where does the gendisk get a reference to the scsi device?
> >
> > In the unified sysfs layout where the silly and conceptual broken idea
> > of "class devices" gets removed.
> > Everything that has a "device" link today will just live below the
> > device the "device" link points to. The whole current kernel is already
> > converted to do this, besides the "raw kobject" gendisk's, and the SCSI
> > subsystem. The gendisk patch is queued in Greg's tree (see subject of
> > this mail), and the conversion from "struct class_device" to "struct
> > device" for the whole SCSI directory is coming soon.
> >
> > With the gendisk pointing to "driverfs_dev" ("device" link) it will
> > become a child of the scsi_device.
>
> OK, light beginning to go on now.
>
> The problem is that you've fallen into the conceptual trap we tried very
> hard to avoid in the initial go around of joining SCSI upper layer
> drivers to gendisks.  That's why no gendisk references are held by the
> mid-layer, only by the entities that represent the objects created by
> upper layer drivers.

That will not change, only the disk will reference the device which it
points to. It's not a problem, we can "orphan" the disk on delete, or we
do the "orphaning" for all devices in the core, which is probably the
right fix anyway.

> Doesn't this circularity now exist for everything?  Every device that
> creates a queue has a reference to the queue, every queue has a
> reference to its attached gendisk and now every gendisk has a reference
> to the device creating the queue?  This doesn't look to be a SCSI
> specific problem.

It's only SCSI so far, everything else seems fine.

But, the real problem is that the core seems to deadlock if two devices
reference each other (or build a larger circle), even when they are
deleted, that's the problem we are running in.

Thanks,
Kay

-