Re: BUG in: Driver core: convert block from raw kobjects to core devices (fwd)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, James Bottomley wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:32 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Hm, I seem to have missed the part in this thread where someone said
> > that it was valid to have a parent reference a child device.  That's
> > just wrong and needs to be fixed.  Is that in the scsi layer somewhere?
> > The block layer?  It sure isn't in the driver core...
>
> This is the piece I'm still not clear on.  It's something to do with the
> gendisk.  I'd have to look in block, but I believe the queue takes a ref
> to the gendisk.
>
> The scsi_device has a ref to the queue and the scsi_disk (in sd) has a
> ref to both the scsi_device and the gendisk.  That means, until sd is
> unbound and the scsi_disk released, there's an implied unbreakable
> reference chain.
>
> at least, I think that's what the problem is.

No, you haven't got it right.

	Parent		Child		Grandchild
	------		-----		----------
	scsi_device	gendisk		request_queue

The odd part is that the scsi_device holds a reference to the queue.
That creates a reference loop:

	scsi_device	holds ref to	request_queue (done explicitly)
	request_queue	holds ref to	gendisk (implicit, parent-child)
	gendisk		holds ref to	scsi_device (implicit, parent-child)

The scsi_disk adds confusion to the picture but it doesn't make things
any worse than they already are.

Alan Stern

-