Re: Questions about proc_scsi_write() in scsi_proc.c

On Friday 26 October 2007 4:09:37 pm James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 15:07 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I don't understanding this code:
> >
> > 1) for echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" > /proc/scsi/scsi, is this
> > only for parallel scsi?
>
> No.
>
> >  I thought most modern busses (usb, sata, FC, firewire,
> > etc) dynamically assign these numbers and just use them as a unique
> > identifier ala kdev_t.  How would this work on one of the other devices?
>
> It's most often used to add or remove LUNs.

Ok, I'm unclear on what a LUN is.  All the devices I have lying around give me
a LUN of zero.  I used to think that a LUN was a bit like partition, and
mostly used for CD changes.  The structure "scsi_target" seems to aggregate
host/channel/target and I thought it referred to a device.

The earlier email between you, me, and Stefan, and myself said:

James Bottomley said:
> Stephan Richter said:
> > "lun" is a target-wide unique number to address a logical unit on a
> > target device.  Its format is also a priori defined by the Linux SCSI
> > low-level API.

I think I understand that bit

> > It is possible to transform "Logical Unit Identifiers"
> > a.k.a. "Logical Unit Numbers" a.k.a. "LUNs" (which are either 8 bytes
> > wide or 2 bytes wide) into the format of the lun.  (Logical Unit
> > Identifier is a property of all logical units of SCSI target devices.)

This is something totally different, and seems a bit like a MAC address?

> > The SCSI Architecture Model defines several different subspecies of 8
> > bytes wide LUNs.  Some of these variants cannot be transformed lossless
> > into the SCSI core's lun, but it appears that such variants of LUNs are
> > not used in real hardware.
>
> Right, LUN has a specific transport independent meaning defined in SAM-3
> or SAM-4:
>
> http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/sam3/sam3r14.pdf
> http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/sam4/sam4r13.pdf

Unfortunately those two documents are 127 pages and 148 pages, respectively,
and I haven't had a chance to make any headway in them yet.

Every device I have that shows up as SCSI has shown up with a LUN of 0, which
is target-wide unique because none of those targets have sub-functions that
need to be independently addressed as devices.

Is there an easy way to distinguish between "target-wide unique lun" and this
Logical Unit Number device attribute that's either 8 bytes or 2 bytes wide?
(Capitalization?)

> > 2) How do you trigger this?  /proc/scsi/scsi is read only even for root.
>
> root can still write to it.

Wow.  (Is this an idiosyncrasy of /proc, or a capability of root I've been
unaware of all this time?)

> > 3) This bit is repeated in both the add and remove logic:
> >                 p = buffer + 23;
> >
> >                 host = simple_strtoul(p, &p, 0);
> >                 channel = simple_strtoul(p + 1, &p, 0);
> >                 id = simple_strtoul(p + 1, &p, 0);
> >                 lun = simple_strtoul(p + 1, &p, 0);
> >
> > So what happens if you echo "scsi add-single-device 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
> > (or wherever file would trigger this function) so the read for channel
> > skips over the null terminator (I'm assuming there is one) and reads who
> > knows what?  Or what if instead of ending that with one 0, you end it
> > with enough zeroes to pad right up to PAGE_SIZE, so it reads the next
> > page?  (I don't even know what the page protections are on that, depends
> > how
> > __get_free_page(GFP_KERNEL) works...)
> >
> > Confused,
>
> It's relying on the user buffer being zero padded, but even if it isn't,
> there's not much that can go wrong.  It's also a deprecated interface.

Where do I find out what interfaces are deprecated?  (Is this written down
somewhere?  Or do you just mean that the whole of /proc is moving to /sys
where possible?)

> James

Thanks (still confused),

Rob