Re: Questions about scsi.c

On Thursday 25 October 2007 3:49:26 pm Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > > !E is for exported symbols and that file has none.
> > > USe !I instead.
> >
> > So how do I handle a case like drivers/ata/libata-core.c which has
> > EXPORT_SYMBOL() calls for functions that live in (and are documented in)
> > other files, such as ata_scsi_ioctl() in drivers/ata/libata-scsi.c?
>
> I don't see ata_scsi_ioctl() documented at all.  Are you looking at
> a newer tree than I am?  (i'm using 2.6.24-rc1)

No, I mean I was thinking of adding a kerneldoc comment and noticed the
discrepancy.

As for already checked-in stuff, substitute ata_std_bios_param,
ata_scsi_slave_config, and ata_scsi_slave_destroy.  Each of those functions
has a kerneldoc comment in libata-scsi.c, but the export statement for that
function is in libata-core.c.

> Long-term answer is that we prefer EXPORT_SYMBOL() to be used
> just under the function that is being exported.  In this case,
> the maintainer may be disagreeing with that.  [cc-ed]

Moving the EXPORT_SYMBOL()s would be nice.  The documentation tools don't
preserve context outside of a single file, and I'd like to get full coverage
documenting exported symbols before worrying much about internal ones...

> Short-term answer is to use !Isource_filename_where_kernel_doc_is
> as though it's not EXPORTed.  I think.

Except if the EXPORTs got moved/fixed it would then hide them from !I without
generating any kind of warning.

Actually, for the really short term I can go "see the existing libata book in
this directory" and foist this problem off on Jeff Garzik. :) (Friday
deadline.)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-