Re: generating a Linux WWN?

James Bottomley wrote:
My problem with auto generated is that it's provably impossible to
generate globally unique numbers for WWNs without some internal source
of uniqueness (I know sparcs have this in their serial number, but most
PCs unfortunately don't).

I know the auto generated number can be statistically reasonably unique,
but sysadmins are lazy people.  If they run into this problem, they'll
take the knob with the on/off switch rather than the think about the
problem and specify the full WWN; and then, being busy people, they'll
forget about it as "problem solved".  When they do this, statistically
(and probably years later) there will be a cluster reboot where the
entire SAN simply collapses and no-one knows why ... the poor SAN
administrator will likely spend weeks working out the problem is.

Why, if we give lazy administrators root access, that's all they'll use, and they will just think "problem solved" until a serious security issue arises that takes down the cluster.

See how silly and un-Linux that logic is? In Linux, the admin has the power to make stupid decisions -- or to make informed decisions that disagree your rigid "an admin should never do that" line of thought. It's their hardware.

You're also using the 1% case of a 1% case of a 1% case to argue against a feature that is useful in making things Just Work(tm).

	Jeff

-