Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 6.10-rc4

Hi Linus!

> But I also know that pretty much *EVERY* time the SCSI layer has
> decided to start looking at some new piece of data, it turns out that
> "Oh, look, all those devices have only ever been tested with operating
> systems that did *NOT* look at that mode page or other thing, and
> surprise surprise - not being tested means that it's buggy".

We have been working towards poking the same things in the same order as
a well-known desktop operating system. Explicitly to leverage USB device
manufacturer testing.

> Put another way: why wasn't this an explicit opt-in from the get-go?

Because the expectation is that it will be widely implemented and used
on pretty much anything that speaks SCSI except USB-attached gadgets.
Hence the ask to disable it for the USB transports instead of
complicating things for every other use case.

It is always unfortunate when a change causes regressions. I agree that,
given that this involved a mode page, there should have been extra
safeguards in place. I should have caught that.