Re: [linux-usb-devel] question on flushing buffers and spinning down disk

Am Donnerstag 27 September 2007 schrieb Alan Stern:
> There's also a philosophical objection.  Who is in a better position to
> judge when a device like a SCSI drive should be autosuspended: its own
> driver (sd) or someone else (usb-storage)?

Then a philosophical answer. The highest entity which understands what
it is doing when using power management. Highest here to be understood
not as a position in the device tree, but in the flow of information.

That is in our case usb-storage. Sr or sd can't do it because they don't
and can't understand power management.
Now they might be asked to provide some helpers. An open count and
notifications about the state of the queue would be obvious. Other
suggestions?

	Regards
		Oliver

-