Re: generating a Linux WWN?

Douglas Gilbert wrote:
I have come across two types of problems:
  a) the scsi_debug driver looks like one or more logical units
     behind one or more dual ported SAS devices. All generated
     SAS address (for target ports, target devices and lus)
     should be distinct and preferably world wide unique.
     [My scsi_ses driver has a similar problem.]
  b) SAS HBAs that can run in target mode don't have enough
     unique SAS addresses allocated. A SAS initiator (the HBA's
     normal mode) only needs a couple a SAS addresses (e.g.
     3: one for the 4 internal phys, another for the 4
     external phys and 1 for the SAS initiator _device_
     (but I have never seen that done properly)). When you turn
     the SAS HBA around as a target (or initiator/target for
     bonus points) then each logical unit connected to or
     simulated by the SAS target needs a unique SAS address.

Years ago I asked for linux to get a IEEE OID. In the absence
of that perhaps we should use 0xffffff. FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc
face a similar problem.

In absence of a better solution, I would be quite happy to start a precedent of using a high identifier -- but not 0xffffff.

Maybe we could start using 0xFE for open source operating systems. FE-00-00 for Linux, FE-00-01 for OpenBSD, etc.

Once it catches on, assign IANA the task of managing the FE-XX-XX numberspace. The IEEE yearly fee alone for an identifier makes it unrealistic for open source operating systems, otherwise.

	Jeff

-