Re: [Bug] UBSAN: shift-out-of-bounds in sg_build_indirect

On 4/10/24 6:17 PM, Sam Sun wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 12:59 AM Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/9/24 05:51, Sam Sun wrote:
We further analyzed the root cause of this bug. In function
sg_build_indirect of drivers/scsi/sg.c, variable order of line 1900 is
calculated out using get_order(num), and num comes from
scatter_elem_sz. If scatter_elem_sz is equal or below zero, the order
returned will be 52, so that PAGE_SHIFT + order is 64, which is larger
than 32 bits int range, causing shift-out-of bound. This bug is tested
and still remains in the latest upstream linux (6.9-rc3).
If you have any questions, please contact us.

Thank you for having root-caused this issue and also for having shared
your root-cause analysis. Do you perhaps plan to post a patch that fixes
this issue?

Sure, I am glad to help! But it is my first time submitting a patch, I
need to find some instructions. I would appreciate if you could help
me out. Also, I need to double check the patch to avoid introducing a
new one. It might take some time.

The process for contributing a patch is as follows:
1. Clone the Linux kernel tree for the subsystem you want to contribute
   to. For SCSI, this is the for-next branch in
   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mkp/scsi.git
2. Make your changes to the code.
3. Commit your changes (git commit -as), chose a patch title and explain
   what has been changed and also why.
4. Convert your changes into a patch, e.g. by running this command:
     git format-patch -1
5. Check the patch with scripts/checkpatch.pl.
6. Send your patch with git send-email to Martin Petersen and Cc the
   linux-scsi mailing list.

More information is available here:
https://docs.kernel.org/process/submitting-patches.html

Best regards,