Re: startup BUG at lib/string_helpers.c from scsi fusion mptsas

https://lore.kernel.org/all/d45631ac-3ee6-45cc-8b5a-fab130ce39d7@xxxxxxx/

On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 1:42 PM Charles Bertsch <cbertsch@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Justin,
> Yes, undo of that patch does fix the problem, the scsi controller and
> all disks are visible.
>
> So did changing .config so that FORTIFY would not be used.
>
> Given other messages on this subject, there seems a basic conflict
> between using strscpy() to mean -- copy however much will fit, and leave
> a proper NUL-terminated string, versus FORTIFY trying to signal that
> something has been lost. Is there a strscpy variation (_pad maybe?) that
> FORTIFY will remain calm about truncation?

I think fortified strscpy() should allow for the truncation, this, at
least in my eyes, is the expected behavior of strscpy(). You copy as
much as you can from the source and slap a '\0' to the end without
overflowing the destination.

I think Kees has some plans to address this as we spoke offline.