Re: Some plans for scsi_cmnd

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:51:06PM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> > As I said, it's ambitious.  But it'll let us get rid of scsi_pointer
> > and host_scribble entirely.
> >
> This all is an excellent idea and you will find that in the patchset to
> gdth, I have made the work of one driver a bit easier for you.

;-)

> I suggest gradual work, where both Scp and host_scribble are intact
> but the .cmnd_size and mechanics are available with few major drivers
> moved to that. Than one kernel after that deprecating both, while
> converting lots of drivers, and 1-2 kernels after that remove them when
> all drivers are converted. Don't sit on a large patchset with lots of
> drivers and submit them all at once.

Yup, incremental work is always good.

> Please review my patches to scsi_error and the REQUEST_SENSE paths
> (James are they not going to be accepted into 2.6.24-rcx?)
> I have introduced an abstract way to convert a command to point to
> it's sense buffer, So drivers can now transfer data to the sense buffer
> the way they do to regular IO, throw an sg_list.

Brilliant.  I'd only just started looking at the sense buffer issue, so
now I can stop entirely ;-)

> RFC patches early and set up a git tree, if possible. I will help in any way
> I can also with drivers.

I was planning on just throwing patches at this list and seeing what
sticks.  You'll see a few from me today ... looks like item 2 on the
original mail (getting rid of ->done) may be easier than we thought, and
lead to some really nice cleanups.  Of course, gdth is still the
sticking point for that ;-(

a retrograde step."
-