Re: [GIT PULL] first round of SCSI updates for the 6.4+ merge window

On Sat, 2023-09-02 at 12:08 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 00:39, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Updates to the usual drivers (ufs, lpfc, qla2xxx, mpi3mr, libsas)
> > and the usual minor updates and bug fixes but no significant core
> > changes.
>
> Removing 3000+ lines for UFS HPB support wasn't even worth
> mentioning?

Sorry, my bias is showing.  I always thought HPB was a useless
marketing feature and was against including it, so removing it is just
the world going back to being more correct.  To be honest, I also
didn't think you cared at all about UFS ...

> I am happy to see it gone, and maybe as a technology it was a failure
> not worth it, but as a "we gave up on it as being worthless" might
> still have been worth a word or two..
>
> Sadly, I see from the commit message that apparently the next stage
> is going to involve zoned storage. Now *there* is a technology that
> seems to be a complete failure, brought to us by the same kind of
> failed hardware people who tried to convince us that we should care
> about 64kB pages in SSD's.

Well, we put HPB in in spite of most of us thinking it was a bad idea
because there was a tiny chance it might work and it could be yanked
out if it didn't.  There's no reason not to extend the same courtesy to
zoned storage.

> Oh well. With enough thrust, even a pig will fly. I suspect that's
> the motivating factor behind all those zoned storage things too.

That's why RFC1925 exists, yes ...

James