Re: Mylex AcceleRAID 170 + myrb/myrs causing crash

On 7/13/23 21:21, Mike Edwards wrote:
I spun up an old machine (with an even older Mylex AcceleRAID card, the 170 w/ a bios dated Jan 21, 2000 - yikes!) recently.  While this machine was running an old 4.7 kernel and booted fine, attempting to update it to a modern release of Debian with a 6.1 kernel caused the kernel to hang while booting, with a number of stuck tasks warnings, starting with udev-worker and including kworker kernel processes.

During troubleshooting, I was able to identify the myrb/myrs drivers which replaced the old DAC960 driver (removed in commit 6956b956934f10c19eca2a1d44f50a3bee860531) as the culprit.  The last kernel to successfully boot on here is 4.19.x, while anything newer exhibits the same stuck processes - and indeed, blacklisting the myrb and myrs drivers allows 6.1 to boot on this machine.

I know this card is functional, as I do have two drives attached to it, and both it and the drives work fine in 4.19 and older kernels, so the issue seems to be with the newer myrb/myrs drivers.  Is there a chance of fixing the current drivers, or, at worst, reintroducing the old deprecated DAC960 driver back into the kernel?  I'm not absolutely tied to using that driver, other than 'it just works' for this card.

Whee, someone is using it!
I'm not alone!

But sure, of course I'll help.
Can you try install openSUSE Leap on it? Then you can open a bugzilla on our side, and we can track and discuss things there. Debugging via e-mail tends to be very distracting to others not directly involved.

For starters, a message log might help. And please enable dynamic debug
via

echo 'file drivers/scsi/myrs.c +p' > \
  /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
echo 'file drivers/scsi/myrb.c +p' > \
  /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688