Re: [GIT PULL] first round of SCSI updates for the 6.4+ merge window

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 at 05:48, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    We have a couple of major core changes impacting other
> systems: Command Duration Limits, which spills into block and ATA and
> block level Persistent Reservation Operations, which touches block,
> nvme, target and dm (both of which are added with merge commits
> containing a cover letter explaining what's going on).

Random side note - as an outsider that then sees a trivial conflict
due to the split of the nmve side into a file called 'pr.c', I can
only say that my reaction to that was "what a horrible filename".

Maybe it makes sense to people that are very into nvme, but honestly,
considering it's a new special thing, I kind of doubt it.

We really don't lack the disk-space to use more descriptive names for
files. "pr.c" really is pretty horrid.

It's not like that file even had a comment at the top about what it was.

And yes, while I was looking around, I realized that we've had that
<linux/pr.h> header file forever. So this inscrutable naming isn't
new.

We have a few other horrors here. Quickly, without looking at them,
what is 'rv.h' of 'nd.h'?

But three old wrongs don't make a right.

              Linus