Force ignore LBPME bit by using quirks?

Hello,

Short version: is it possible to force ignore the LBPME bit and use
UNMAP anyway? Maybe via quirks?

Long version: I've got a JMS567-based DAS from Sabrent (DS-4SSD) that
has an, um, "weird" firmware (they've tweaked it for their reasons, and
now it even refuses to reflash). It identifies as 152d:1561 (JMS561),
and does not have the LBPME bit set. However, they say that Windows
ignores this bit, and works just fine, which is why they never noticed
the problem. So it's definitely actually supported.

I've seen a proposed patch that enables the same behaviour, but it was
rejected for obvious reasons:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg95062.html
But in the bottom, it was suggested that this might be better
implemented via quirking.

Is there currently a way to force UNMAP on this device regardless of the
LBPME bit? Was it implemented by quirking? I would prefer to avoid using
a patched kernel, and I'm not even sure if that patch would still be
(correctly) applicable to a modern kernel.

(Please CC me, I'm not on the list.)