Re: The PQ=1 saga

On 1/27/23 11:57, Brian Bunker wrote:
So the question becomes how should initial scan work when a LUN has a PQ=1 set.
It is a valid, by spec with ALUA state unavailable but doesn’t seem to be
handled. Why allow an sg device but not an sd one on initial scan in this case? There
are probably many ways to fix this. I think the simplest is to allow sd device creation
on LUNs were PQ=1, and only restrict PQ=3. I am not sure the side effect of this on other
targets. The other approach which will no longer work after the revert is to trigger a
rescan from the target. This is sub-optimal since it is disruptive. Any approach involving
the ALUA device handler will not help since there is no device to transition if it is
discovered with PQ=1.

When Mike Christie and I looked into the ALUA unavailable state many years ago we concluded that using this state is so troublesome that it's better not to use this state. How about using active/optimized and active/non-optimized instead?

Thanks,

Bart.