[LSF/MM/BPF Topic] Making the iscsi initiator work in containers: network namespace changes

Hello all:

I would like to talk about updating open-iscsi, the standard Linux iscsi initiator, "namespace aware" so that it can work in containers.

Most if not all of these changes appear to be in the kernel itself, hence I'd love to hear from others about the effort.

This work was originally started by Chris Leech, but ran into road blocks because there are some corner-case hard questions.

The basic problem is that iscsid, the open-iscsi daemon, talks to the kernel using a netlink socket, but the kernel assumes one connect, and that connection to be on the default network namespace.

I hope to present ongoing work status and engage in discussion that can help the project move forward, since many folks have complained about iscsid's failure to work in containers.

If Chris Leech attends, I'm sure he will be able to add in his view and issues discovered in this area.

Thank you.
--
Lee Duncan