Re: [QUESTION]: Why did we clear the lowest bit of SCSI command's status in scsi_status_is_good

On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 10:17 PM James Bottomley <jejb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-12-02 at 21:58 +0800, Wenchao Hao wrote:

> > > Because it wouldn't be backwards compatible and something might
> > > break.
> > > Under SCSI-1, devices were allowed to set this bit to signal vendor
> > > unique status and a lot of manufacturers continued doing this for
> > > SCSI-
> > > 2, even though it was flagged as reserved instead of vendor
> > > specific in
> > > that standard, hence the mask.  Since this was over 20 years ago,
> > > it is
> > > possible there is no remaining functional device that does this,
> > > but if
> > > it's not causing a problem, why take the risk?
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > Hi James, thank you very much for your answer.
> >
> > I think we should think about the following functions of megaraid
> > driver:
> >
> > megasas_complete_cmd() defined in
> > drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas_base.c,
> > megasas_complete_cmd
> >         switch (hdr->cmd) {
> >         case MFI_CMD_LD_READ:
> >         case MFI_CMD_LD_WRITE:
> >                 switch (hdr->cmd_status) {
> >                 case MFI_STAT_SCSI_DONE_WITH_ERROR:
> >                         cmd->scmd->result = (DID_OK << 16) | hdr-
> > >scsi_status;
> >                         break;
> >                 }
> >         }
> >
> > map_cmd_status() defined in
> > drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas_fusion.c
> > map_cmd_status
> >         switch (status) {
> >         case MFI_STAT_SCSI_DONE_WITH_ERROR:
> >                 scmd->result = (DID_OK << 16) | ext_status;
> >                 break;
> >         }
> >
> > Both of these functions did not check the status byte, which can not
> > make sure the status byte is defined in SAM.
>
> Right, but the first one should be returning actual status from the
> drive, so should be OK.  The second one looks to be returning
> manufactured raid status, which is likely the problem.
>
> in either case, just fix the code to return DID_ERROR<<16 if the status
> is non SAM conforming.
>
> > What we meet is the status byte set to 1, and the host_byte is set to
> > DID_OK.
> >
> > In this condition, the scsi_cmnd would be finished by scsi middle
> > layer with BLK_STS_OK if the kernel version is before 3d45cefc8edd7
> > (scsi: core: Drop obsolete Linux-specific SCSI status codes).
>
> I don't believe it does: that commit should produce identical code
> before and after; it merely replaced the shifted status conditions with
> the unshifted ones.

Here is how the commit affect the flow:

When the command finished with status set to 1, and the actual
finished byte is less than requested.

Before this commit, scsi_io_completion_nz_result would check
result like following:
if (status_byte(result) && scsi_status_is_good(result)) {
        result = 0;
        *blk_statp = BLK_STS_OK;
}
If the lowest byte of result is 1, the status_byte() returned false,
the result would not be updated. So scsi_io_completion_nz_result()
returned a non zero value. We would call scsi_io_completion_action()
to handle this command after scsi_end_request() failed.

In scsi_io_completion_action(), the command should be finished
with BLK_STS_IOERR, while it is finished with BLK_STS_OK.

After this commit, scsi_io_completion_nz_result would check
result like following:
if (result & 0xff && scsi_status_is_good(result)) {
        result = 0;
        *blk_statp = BLK_STS_OK;
}
Where result && 0xff is 1, the result would be 0, and
scsi_io_completion_nz_result() returned 0. We would call
scsi_mq_requeue_cmd() to requeue this command after
scsi_end_request() failed.