libata and software reset

Hi guys,

In the hisi_sas driver there are times in which we need to issue an ATA software reset. For this we use hisi_sas_softreset_ata_disk() -> sas_execute_ata_cmd() -> sas_execute_tmf(), which uses libsas "slow task" mechanism to issue the command.

I would like if libata provided such a function to issue a software reset, such that we can send the command as an ATA queued command.

The problem is that often when we would want to issue this software reset the associated ata port is frozen, like in ATA EH, and so we cannot issue ATA queued commands - internal or normal - at that time.

Is there any way to solve this? Or I am just misunderstanding how and when ATA queued commands can and should be used?

I assume that ata_port_operations.softreset callback requires a method to be able to issue the softreset directly from the driver, like ahci_softreset() -> ahci_do_softreset() -> ahci_exec_polled_cmd().

Thanks,
John