Re: Do we still need the scsi IPR driver ?

On 10/5/22 19:20, Brian King wrote:
On 9/20/22 8:07 AM, John Garry wrote:
On 21/06/2022 23:12, Damien Le Moal wrote:
We still need it around for now. IBM still sells these adapters
and they can still be ordered even on our latest Power 10 systems.
At one point I did look into modifying ipr to use an ->error_handler.
I recall I ran into some issues that resulted in this getting put
on the shelf, but its been a while. I'll go dig that code up and
see what it looks like.
Thanks. It would be really great if you can convert to using
error_handler. This is really the last ata/libsas driver that does not use
this.

Hi Brian,

I am wondering if there is any update here?

As you may have seen in [0], I think that we need to make progress on this topic first to keep the solution there a bit simpler.

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/1663669630-21333-1-git-send-email-john.garry@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#mf890cb4f1627112652831524dca62cbde4a0a637

I've made some progress. I was able to dig up the code to move ipr to use error_handler
and have gotten it to compile, but haven't gotten to trying it in the lab yet.

Hmm. In which machines can I find an IPR installed? I could go hunting in our lab, maybe I can locate one and aid testing/development ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688