Re: mpt3sas and /sys/block/<dev>/device/timeout

Forza,

> Does the mpt3sas driver or the HBA controller not follow the
> /sys/block/<dev>/device/timeout value?

Discard operations have different timeouts than regular filesystem
read/write I/O.

> Any thoughts other than trying to avoid using discards/fstrim? I did
> reach out to Broadcom for support, and they claim it is a fault in the
> fstrim code and that on FreeBSD they had fixed this. Not sure how
> relevant that statement is though.

Since this HBA performs SCSI->ATA translation in firmware, Linux has
very little control over what's going on. We issue discard commands
constrained by the drive limits reported to us by the HBA.

I recommend making sure you run the latest HBA firmware. You can also
try setting discard_max_bytes in sysfs for the block device in question
to a smaller value.