Re: [LSF/MM/BPF Topic][LSF/MM/BPF Attend] iscsi issue of scale with MNoT

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM <lduncan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [RESEND -- apologies if you see this more than once]
>
> The iSCSI protocol continues to be used in Linux, but some of the
> users push the system past its normal limits. And using multipath just
> exacerbates that problem (usually doubling the number of sessions).
>
> I'd like to gather some numbers for open-iscsi (the standard Linux
> iSCSI initiator) and the kernel target code (i.e. LIO/targetcli) on
> what happens when there are MNoT -- massive numbers of targets.
>
> "Massive" in my case, will be relative, since I don't have access to
> a supercomputer, but I believe it will not be too hard to start
> pushing the system too far. For example, a recent user problem found
> that even at 2000 sessions using multipath, the system takes about 80
> seconds to switch paths. Each switch takes 80ms (and they are
> currently serialized), but when you multiply that by 1000 it adds up.
>
> For the initiator, I've long suspected some parts of the code were not
> designed for scale, so this might give me a chance to find and
> possibly address some of these issues.

There are some linear lookups (sess_list, conn_list) in the iSCSI
netlink which may be low hanging fruit, and do show up in heatmaps
when creating/destroying sessions/connections in the presence of 10k+
sessions in a machine. (Though this doesn't manifest 80s+ stalls,
thankfully)