Re: Deadlock during DV when queue is full

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 21:11 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > (btw this is not another solution, it's indeed the solution of keeping a
> > > reserved request :-)

> > > Sounds a bit hackish, unless the failed command never needs to be
> > > retried.
> >
> > Oh, it does.  We clean it out, save the necessary on the stack and reuse
> > it, then restore the data and send it for a retry.  Up until a while ago
> > it was what all the old_ fields were for in the SCSI command; now, after
> > Christoph fixed it, we save them on the stack instead.
>
> I guess the scsi command doesn't need a whole lot of saved state, but
> the request does.

Well, we're careful never to let the block layer see it again.  We have
a special injection point scsi_send_eh_cmnd() for this.  On the other
hand ... supposing we were to push it back on the block queue for a
resend, what would we need to save?  It's fully prepared and set up as
special because of the attached command, so I'm not sure there would be
anything, as long as we don't let it go into the normal block completion
paths ... I'm just wondering if we can get rid of the special injection
path.

James

-