Re: Unreliable disk detection order in 5.x

On 11/11/21 2:01 AM, Simon Kirby wrote:
On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 11:51:45AM -0800, Bart Van Assche wrote:

On 11/6/21 19:24, Simon Kirby wrote:
This occurs regardless of the CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC setting, and
also with scsi_mod.scan=sync on vendor kernels. All of these disks
are coming from the same driver and card.

I understand that using UUIDs, by-id, etc., is an option to work
around this, but then we would have to push IDs for disks in every
server to our configuration management. It does not seem that this
change is really intentional.

SCSI disk detection is asynchronous on purpose since a long time. The most
recent commit I know of that changed SCSI disk scanning
behavior is commit f049cf1a7b67 ("scsi: sd: Rely on the driver core for
asynchronous probing").

Please use one of the /dev/disk/by-*/* identifiers as Damien requested.

Hi Bart,

So, we're using DRBD on top of these, which means by-uuid is not
available; we can use only by-id and by-path. by-id is dependent on disk
models and serial numbers, and by-path is dependent on PCI bus details.
Both are going to be a good deal more work to maintain, since they're
both not just a simple enumeration.

Why is by-uuid not available?
The uuid is the disk-internal unique identification, and to my knowledge all recent SCSI and SATA drives implement them.
So where is the problem here?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx                              +49 911 74053 688