Re: [patch 14/25] SCSI: use irq_handler_t where appropriate

James Bottomley wrote:
SCSI is a slightly different subsystem from almost any other in the
kernel.  It has something like 15 active driver maintainers plus at
least another 15-25 periodically active ones.  Most (but not all) driver
maintainers are employed by the company who produces the board/chip and
tend to be overloaded with a lot of non-linux work.  Requiring acks for
maintained drivers is a courtesy to make sure we don't get maintainers
spending time trying to resolve conflicts.  I'm not mandating any
particular method of getting acks, just noting that cc'ing maintainers
and having specific subject lines mentioning the driver is a reasonable
way of getting them to notice.

Linux has never worked that way. We always have a stream of patches that are multi-subsystem cleanups and the like. Blocking these patches for months at a time because individual driver maintainers are off doing non-Linux work is just not realistic.

The system is broken, from where I sit. In pretty much every other subsystem in the kernel, the subsystem maintainer makes sure patches don't get stuck in limbo for months.

	Jeff

-