RE: please revert the UFS HPB support

> On Thu, 2021-10-21 at 09:22 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:

> > > Might as well finish the git blame:
> > >
> > > commit 41d8a9333cc96f5ad4dd7a52786585338257d9f1
> > > Author: Daejun Park <daejun7.park@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date:   Mon Jul 12 18:00:25 2021 +0900
> > >
> > >      scsi: ufs: ufshpb: Add HPB 2.0 support
> > >
> > >      Version 2.0 of HBP supports reads of varying sizes from 4KB to
> > > 1MB.
> > >
> > >      A read operation <= 32KB is supported as single HPB read. A
> > > read between
> > >      36KB and 1MB is supported by a combination of write buffer
> > > command and HPB
> > >      read command to deliver more PPN. The write buffer commands
> > > may not be
> > >      issued immediately due to busy tags. To use HPB read more
> > > aggressively, the
> > >      driver can requeue the write buffer command. The requeue
> > > threshold is
> > >      implemented as timeout and can be modified with
> > > requeue_timeout_ms entry in
> > >      sysfs.
> >
> > (+Daejun)
> >
> > Daejun, can the HPB code be reworked such that it does not use
> > blk_insert_cloned_request()? I'm concerned that if the HPB code is
> > not reworked that it will be removed from the upstream kernel.
>
> Just to give urgency to Bart's request: we have two or three weeks
> before the kernel is due to go final.  Can the problems identified by
> Christoph be fixed within that timeframe?

I'm checking to see if I can replace blk_execute_rq_nowait with
blk_insert_cloned_request in the HPB code.

> Specifically, looking at the paper you reference, it only uses READ
> BUFFER for the host cache sharing.  Since the JDEC standard appears to
> be proprietary, I have no method of understanding why the driver now
> uses WRITE BUFFER as well, but it appears to be a simple optimization.
> If you can cut out the WRITE BUFFER code, blk_insert_cloned_request()
> will also be gone and thus the API abuse.  Can you get us a simple
> patch doing this ASAP so we don't have to revert the driver?

If WRITE BUFFER is not used, only READs with a size of 32KB or less can be
changed to HPB READs. This becomes a limiting factor in how READ
performance can be improved by the HPB.

Thanks,
Daejun