Re: [Scst-devel] Problems with SCST and QLA 2432 FC Cards

sandip shete wrote:
Hi,

I am working with the SCST 0.9.4 version on linux-2.6.15 with the
linux-2.6-qla2xxx-target.patch patch applied.
I was using a QLA2312 card on this setup and things were just fine when
i used this system as a Target.

Now I have switched to a qla2432 card and even though i do enable
"Target Mode" (echo "1" >
/sys/class/scsi_host/host../target_mode_enabled) on the corresponding
port, this port fails to work as a target, and none of the Fileio Luns
are exported to the initiator.
Also, on the initiator side the "/sys/class/fc_remote_port/..../role"
file should show as "FC Target", which it used to with QLA 2312, but
with QLA 2432 the initiator side shows the role of the remote port as
"FC Initiator"

The initiator has 2312 cards and 2.6.15 kernel compiled on it.

Also note that, i have the corresponding ql2400_fw.bin firmware binary
at the right location and it gets loaded when i load the modules.
To check if the qla2432 card was working fine, i connected this to a
different 2312 based target system and had it work as a Initiator, this
worked fine and i could see all the luns exported on this box.

Now the only problem that i can think of in target mode is, maybe, scst
doesn't support the qla 24xx series.

Yes, that's correct. Unfortunately, 24xx+ series are not supported yet.

But i fail to see any part of the code pointing towards that.

You can see in the README for the driver that only 22xx and 23xx series are currently supported.

When i  did some debugging on the initiator side i see that the
"qla2x00_get_port_database" does return the status
of the remote port as FCT_INITIATOR, i couldn't actually figure out the
code wherein the target returns the response to these mbox_commands. I
was wondering if SCST plays a part here and sends a different response
when 24xx cards are used.

Unfortunately, 24xx+ cards have very different interface, so add support for them is almost the same as write another driver.

I saw some posts regarding the problems that people were facing with qla24xx
series. If this has been fixed in a different verison of Linux/SCST that what i am using, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards.
Sandip S
-