Re: [bug report] scsi: sd_zbc: emulate ZONE_APPEND commands

On 17/02/2021 10:36, Michal Hocko wrote:

>>> You should be extending noio scope then if this allocation falls into
>>> the same category. Ideally the scope should start at the recursion place
>>> and end where the scope really ened.
>>
>> That means all callers of blk_revalidate_disk_zones() should do
>> memalloc_noio_{save,restore}?
>
> I am not really familiar with the IO area to answer this. The base idea
> is to start the NOIO scope at the boundary which defines "unsafe to
> re-enter or cannot deal with a new IO" from the reclaim path.
>
>> If yes, can we somehow runtime assert that this is done, so we don't
>> end up with bad surprises?
>
> Could you elaborate?

I though of lifting the noio scope into the callers of
blk_revalidate_disk_zones() and then "check" in blk_revalidate_disk_zones()
this has been done. But it looks like memalloc_noio_save() can handle nesting,
so this is actually unneeded.

>>> I am not sure what you mean here.
>>>

>> Using a kmem_cache for the allocations passed into blk_revalidate_disk_zones().
>> I've looked into kmem_cache_alloc() and I couldn't find anything that speaks
>> against it, but I'm not too familiar with the code.
>
> kmem_cache_alloc is only an extension to allow to allocate from a
> specific cache. I do not really see how it is going to help with larger
> allocation and my current understanding is that kvmalloc is used because
> the requested allocation size can be large.

Ah ok so we can't set aside a big enough pool to do allocations from there,
this was a misunderstanding from my side.