Re: impact of 4k sector size on the IO & FS stack

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Mar 11 2007 18:51, Ric Wheeler wrote:
During the recent IO/FS workshop, we spoke briefly about the
coming change to a 4k sector size for disks on linux. If I
recall correctly, the general feeling was that the impact was
not significant since we already do most file system IO in 4k
page sizes and should be fine as long as we partition drives
correctly and avoid non-4k aligned partitions.

Sorry about jumping right in, but what about an 'old-style'
partition table that relies on 512 as a unit?

For 1K/4K physical sector size, where logical sector size remains 512-b, nothing changes. DOS partitions start partitions on odd-numbered sectors, so presuming you have odd-aligned disks, life is good.

For 1K/4K logical sector sizes, who knows.  EFI?  <grins and runs>

Certainly seems incompatible with the current popular DOS partition format.

	Jeff

-