Re: Please help if u can.

Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> It would be reasonable to assume that Luben is the maintainer
> of this code although the MAINTAINERS file has no entry
> for the aic94xx driver.
>
> This code was effectively removed from Luben's control
> about 18 months ago and has passed through several sets
> of hands since then. None of the people concerned want
> to identify themselves in the source or explain
> what has been done in writing. Why?

Laziness, in my case.  I suppose it would be useful to document the fact
that I've made changes to libsas/aic94xx.  Though the "what has been
done" part ... I was hoping the commit messages would suffice.

> The existing copyright notices should remain but what
> about the massive changes to that driver in 2006?
> Where is the indication of whom John should contact?
>
> Perhaps something like:
>  "For maintenance of this driver contact
>   linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Alexis can answer this part.

> FYI John, Luben maintains his own version of the
> aic94xx and that version holds the sequencer firmware
> in a binary blob within the driver. Due to kernel policy,
> that blob was moved to separate file by someone else. The
> error that you are reporting suggests that the firmware
> file for the aic94xx cannot be found. On my system
> the file that you may be missing looks like this:
> # ls -l /lib/firmware/aic94xx-seq.fw
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 22622 Aug 29 17:36 /lib/firmware/aic94xx-seq.fw

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jejb/aic94xx-seq.fw

--D
-