Re: [v4 00/11] Add persistent durable identifier to storage log messages

On 7/27/20 5:45 PM, Tony Asleson wrote:
FYI, I think these identifiers are absolutely horrible and have no
business in dmesg:

The identifiers are structured data, they're not visible unless you go
looking for them.

I'm open to other suggestions on how we can positively identify storage
devices over time, across reboots, replacement, and dynamic reconfiguration.

My home system has 4 disks, 2 are identical except for serial number.
Even with this simple configuration, it's not trivial to identify which
message goes with which disk across reboots.

Well; the more important bits would be to identify the physical location where these disks reside. If one goes bad it doesn't really help you if have a persistent identification in the OS; what you really need is a physical indicator or a physical location allowing you to identify which disk to pull.

Which isn't addressed at all with this patchset (nor should it; the physical location it typically found via other means).

And for the other use-cases: We do have persistent device links, do we not? They provide even more information that you'd extract with this this patchset, and don't require any kernel changes whatsoever.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke            Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@xxxxxxx                               +49 911 74053 688