Re: LIO Scsi Target

On 2020-07-15 11:16, Lee Duncan wrote:
> SCST is still around, but I believe it's user-space only. (Forgive me if
> I'm wrong here, but it's been a while since I looked at SCST.)

Hi Lee,

That may be a misunderstanding :-) Almost all of SCST runs in the
kernel, except the code for accepting connections from an iSCSI
initiator. The SCST configuration tool (scstadmin) is a user space tool
that interacts with the SCST kernel modules through the SCST sysfs
interface. SCST still has a significant user base despite not being
upstream.

> There is also a cool new extension to targetcli called tcmu-runner, that
> allows you to add new functionality to targetcli without having to hack
> on the kernel.

My understanding is that the design of tcmu-runner is strongly inspired
by the design of the scst_user driver. Something that's unfortunate is
that we can't ask Shaohua Li anymore about the design of tcmu-runner
(see also
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/398a74fa-6566-8d0d-6434-e68ff3763656@xxxxxxxxx/).

Bart.