Re: LIO Scsi Target

On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 12:18 +0430, Sadegh Ali wrote:
> Dear sir
>
> we are considering to build SCSI Target system with ZFS filesystem
> backend using Linux
> I searched that two modules are available for Linux SCSI target, LIO,
> and SCST
> but it seems LIO project that streamed to the kernel is not updated
> for a while (about 7 years)
> Is the LIO module project dead? or suspended?
> Is any person or community available to respond to technical problems
> and fix bugs or develop new features or support new hardware?
>
> with best regards

There has definitely been a pause in the LIO target code updates.
In fact we use it a lot here (qla2xxx and SRP) at Red Hat but we have
remained on the 4.5 kernel with my jammer patch in the lab because
later updates have been  seeing lots of problems.
I reported this to Marvell and they were looking into it but its been a
long time.

The ISCSI module is very stable but my issues had been mostly with the
qla2xxx target module.

Many vendors who have this in their products took a snapshot many
kernels back and I am not sure how much has been shared back to
upstream.

I have not tested recent upstream kernels for ages so I am also
intrested to know who has been using either the qla2xxx modules or the
SRP module successfully with recent kernels.

Regards
Laurence