Re: Linux Virtual SCSI HBAs and Virtual disks

Hi Doug Gilbert,

I am not sure if my previous email was received or not.
# ./start_target.sh id=3 -files ../../zz_lun0 -v
# lsscsi
[0:0:0:0]    disk    Linux    scsi_debug       0004  /dev/sda
[1:0:0:0]    disk    VirtualH VHD              0     /dev/sdb

So "id=3" doesn't look the target identifier. If not, what
is it?

Actually it is not the target number, it can have only one target. This is just an identification for the scsi_host created inside the kernel. If you re-run the same command again with same id, the new process would attach to the same scsi_host. This can be seen as two user process serving the same virtual host bus adapter. If use a different id with the same lun file, It will create a new scsi_host and it would appear as the same LUN on a different host bus adapter.

Perhaps you could examine the way scsi_debug (or most
other LLDs) does autosense. This modern technique (used
for about the last 12 years) relieves the scsi midlevel
of having to send a follow up REQUEST SENSE.
What would i do if the SCSI target does not return any sense code? I make some thing up or just return no-sense? In the new version, I made up SK="Illegal request", ASC="Invalid Opcode" if I do not receive any sense from target. But I think I should return no sense, ie SK=0, ASC=0, ASCQ=0. Any thoughts?
It would be easier to read those SCSI commands in the
debug output if they were trimmed to their actual lengths
(e.g. the INQUIRY is 12 00 00 00 24 00).
I will fix this.

Aboo

-