Re: Venturing into HBA driver development

On Mon, 2020-04-27 at 05:24 +0530, Aijaz Baig wrote:
> I'm a mid level developer with acceptable knowledge of OS internals
> and some driver development but up until now, I've worked mostly on
> the networking side of things
>
> most searches online are leading me to open solaris which seems to be
> the only guide available online for writing HBA drivers
>
> Is there anything else (Besides reading the source), like a guide or
> something, that I can read to help me get up to speed with it.

This is a pretty good one

https://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

And if you like it, you could buy the book.

> Do I really need to know SAN to become acceptably good. How much SCSI
> (and other protocol(s)) knowledge is needed?

It depends *what* driver you want to write.  Obviously you have to
understand the protocol of both the host bus adapter and usually also
any devices attached to it, but the HBA protocol is usually highly
manufacturer dependent, it's only the device protocol that you'll find
in standards.

James