Re: RFC: SCSI Generic version 4 interface

On Thu, Dec 07 2006, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> From: Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: RFC: SCSI Generic version 4 interface
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:57:56 +0100
>
> > On Thu, Dec 07 2006, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > > From: Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Subject: Re: RFC: SCSI Generic version 4 interface
> > > Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:30:20 +0100

> > > I agree. But if bsg replaces sg3 code, it supports the full features,
> > > doesn't it? If bsg does not replace sg3 code, we have more
> > > duplication.
> > >
> > > I think it would be nice for bsg to support only sg4 (does not support
> > > some of the old sg3 interfaces) and not add sg4 support to sg.c and
> > > scsi_ioctl.c (of course they can share some code).
> >
> > Yeah, I agree with that (if only to reduce my headache of actually
> > supporting the code!). When the sg v4 command interface is fully fleshed
> > out, I'm fine with moving bsg in that direction and dumping sg v3
> > support completely.
>
> Nice.
>
> BTW, do you plan to use bsg only for sg4 (like putting sg4 hdr into
> bsg_command directly) or provide generic interfaces (I mean that sg4
> calls something like bsg_register_protocol) ?

I try not to over design such things, so it'll just be sg v4. If another
cases arises, we can introduce something like what you suggest.

> > > sg mmap io is tricky. sg_io_hdr doesn't have a mapped address,
> > > instead, the sg driver keeps a mapped address when an application
> > > calls mmap (that means sg cannot handle multiple mmap io requests
> > > simultaneously).
> >
> > With sg v3 support out of the picture, that's not a worry. I'll probably
> > look into a different request/response architecture as well, the user
> > visible ring buffer is a strong approach in my opinion.
>
> The scsi target infrastructure uses something like that. I'd like to
> use bsg for it in the future.

Neat, I'll take patches for that :-)
My intention was to hangon a little and see if the kevent stuff got
merged, then probably utilize that. If not, cook up my own.

--
Jens Axboe

-